- Chiropractic Adjustments
- Myofascial Release
- Corrective Exercises
- Nutritional Consultations
- Massage Therapy
- Pediatric Chiropractic
- Pre/Postnatal Chiropractic
- Electrical Stimulation
- Graston Technique
- Weight Loss
- Soft Tissue Work
- Trigger Point Therapy
A chiropractic adjustment can make you feel so much better. Your body does not want to be out of alignment, and that’s exactly what an adjustment can help address. It is also known as chiropractic manipulation, manual manipulation, or spinal manipulation. The adjustment refers to the manipulation of the vertebrae that have abnormal movements and are not functioning properly. A chiropractic adjustment will assist in fixing these issues.
The goal of chiropractic treatment is to reduce the subluxation, increase the range of motion, reduce nerve irritability, and improve mobility. Our compassionate and qualified chiropractor will work with you to relieve this pain and get you back to being pain free every single day.
Although many people visit their chiropractor and have an adjustment when something feels out of alignment, a regular visit will help you avoid any pain in the future and will keep your body feeling great all day long.
If you are having one of those days when you are not in the best mood, an adjustment may actually help. Your body will feel much better, which will naturally improve your mood.
Myofascial release is an intervention administered to various patients to alleviate pain or restrictive tissue problems. The release treatment usually involves the application of gentle or moderate pressure on the connective tissues and leads to relaxation and eventual elongation of the fascia therein. These restrictions are often caused by traumatic accidents or inflammations of the soft tissue. Some patients get them as an after-effect of surgery. They always result in muscular tension and spasm of sharp pain. They cannot be detected through standard diagnosis tests like the x-ray scan. It is essential for a patient to visit a doctor or physiotherapy expert once they notice restriction of movement in the hip area or shoulder. Painful backs can also be a sign of the restriction and can only be treated through the Myofascial Release procedures.
If you have never undergone a Myofascial Release procedure before, you might wonder what will be done. There is no need to panic any way, since it is a minor therapy intervention meant to alleviate any pain that could be as a result of fascia muscle pain and restriction. Here is what you can expect if you visit a standard therapist for your myofascial pain treatment.
- The therapist might have to interview you about what you think the cause of the pain could be. They may also palpitate the affected area to identify the particular fascia that needs to be massaged and given due attention during the procedure.
- A standard treatment should last anywhere from 30 minutes to one hour, but should not last longer than that as that may lead to soreness and fatigue.
- You may experience considerable relief, but if the case is severe, you may need to go for another session or two in the subsequent days.
- The treatment does not require the use of any equipment and creams or gels. The therapist will only need their hands to manipulate and apply slight pressure to the trigger points and affected muscles.
Corrective exercises are the use of bodily movements and/or postures to restore desirable changes in diseased or injured tissues. The corrective exercises are movement strategies that minimize or eliminate compensation. Corrective exercises should precede more integrated exercises, because they can cue the patient’s motor system to respond in a more desirable way and assist in removing or improving biomechanical constraints.
It is important to understand that often times where the pain presents is not the area that needs to be treated. The pain may be due to that area compensating and being over-worked from another area not pulling its weight. Our rehabilitation program includes strength, flexibility and agility training as well as training focused on coordination of body parts and motion to prepare the individual to return to full participation.
At NHC, we promote clean fresh anti-inflammatory foods. What we eat will determine our energy levels, how we look, how we feel, and how we function. The food that is listed under “Eat Clean,” are anti-inflammatory foods, while the foods listed as “Don’t Eat,” are pro-inflammatory. Most of the foods that are pro-inflammatory are highly processed, high in calories, and low in nutrients and should be avoided. Increase levels of inflammation in the body can cause many problems with your health including:
Increase levels of pain
Chronic inflammatory diseases (celiac disease, vasculitis, lupus, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), irritable bowel disease, atherosclerosis, arthritis, fibromyalgia, and psoriasis)
WE FOLLOW SIMPLE GUIDELINES:
- We want it to be a lifestyle not a diet.
- We don’t count calories, we simple recommend you eat food that your body was designed to consume.
- 85:15% rule allows you to consume three non-Paleo meals per week, 100% would be great, but unrealistic in this day and age
- If this type of lifestyle diet is new to you, you can should start slowly by removing one item from your diet and replacing it with clean healthy food (week 1: grains for example).
- Lean Grass-fed Meats: seafood, chicken, beef, turkey, pork loin, buffalo, venison
- Eggs: whole cage-free eggs, egg whites
- Avocado (whole & oil)
- Coconut (flakes, butter, flower & milk)
- Almond (butter, milk, flower)
- Raw Un-salted Nuts: hazelnuts, macadamia, almonds, walnuts, pistachios
- Pecans, pine-nuts
- Healthful oils (Olive, walnut, flaxseed, macadamia, avocado, coconut)
- Seeds (Flax, sesame, sunflower, pumpkin)
CARBOHYDRATES (FRESH BEFORE FROZEN)
- Vegetables: Vary the types of veggies and go green!
- Fruits: Aim for low glycemic choices- berries, melon, citrus, pears, apples
- *Save carb-dense fruits and vegetables for post workout meals (bananas, papayas, mangoes, sweet potatoes, yams, squash)
- Dried Fruit: Dried fruit and Lara bars (in serious moderation)
- Wine (moderation)
EAT IN MODERATION
- Vinegar – use in small quantities in dressings/salsas
- Salt – try to avoid adding salt to your food
- Honey/Maple Syrup
- Cereal grains: (barley, corn, millet, oats, rice, rye, sorghum, wheat, wild rice)
- Psuedo-grains: (quinoa, amaranth, and buckwheat)
- Legumes: (including peanuts black beans, garbanzo beans, kidney beans, mung beans, string beans, lima beans, black-eyed peas, chickpeas, lentils, snow peas, sugar snap peas, soybeans and soybean products)
- Dairy: (cheese, cream, yogurt, ice cream, low-fat milk, skim milk, whole milk, dairy creamer, and all processed foods that contain dairy)
- Refined sugar or sugar substitutes
- Processed foods: (too many to list, but most commonly found in center of supermarket)
- Refined vegetable oils: (soybean, sunflower, safflower,peanut and cotton seed oils)
HERE ARE A FEW TIPS TO MAKE THE PALEO/ANTI-INFLAMMATORY DIET A ROUTINE PART OF YOUR LIFESTYLE:
- For breakfast, make an easy omelet. Sauté onion, peppers, mushrooms, and broccoli in olive oil; add omega-3-enriched or free-range eggs and diced turkey or chicken breast.
- Lunch: At the beginning of the week, make a huge salad with anything you like. A good starting point can be mixed greens, spinach, bell peppers, cucumbers, carrots, avocadoes, walnuts or almonds and sliced apples or pears. Store the salad in a large sealable container. Each morning prepare a single serving from the large batch and then mix in meat (ground beef, beef slices, chicken, turkey, ground bison, pork chunks, etc.) or seafood of choice (salmon, shrimp, tuna, or any fresh fish or seafood). Toss with olive oil and lemon juice and you are set.
- Dinner: try spaghetti squash as a substitute for any pasta recipe. Top with pesto, marinara and meatballs. Asparagus, broccoli, and spinach can be steamed quickly. Salmon, halibut, or other fresh fish filets grill well with accompanying foil packs full of cut veggies with olive oil and garlic.
- Dessert: Berries and other succulent fruits make a great dessert.
- Snacks: Pre-cut carrot and celery sticks or sliced fruit w/almond butter, hard boiled eggs, and pre-portioned raw nut/dried fruit mixes are easy snacks.
TIPS FOR SUCCESS:
- Spice it up! Cook at home- use lots of spices and herbs to add flavor and variety to your meals
- Eat protein at every meal, add lots of vegetables, and a healthy fat source
- If fat loss is a goal: limit fruit and nut intake
- Plan ahead, pack meals, pre-prepare meals, and have healthy snacks on hand
- Inflammatory Cycle
- Great Resources: www.thepaleodiet.com :: www.deflame.com
- There are also many blogs and recipes online if you just search for paleo or anti-inflammatory diet.
We prefer you get most all of your nutrients from clean healthly food. We recommend these three supplements along with a high quality multi-vitamin since these nutrients seem to be the most lacking in the average American’s diet and the most important to our overall healthy.
Omega-3 long chain fatty acids are an essential part of every human’s diet. Benefits include decreased inflammation, improved injury prevention, accelerated recovery, increased oxygen delivery, and improvement to overall health and well-being. The results of our combined research, testing, and implementation results in a superior
omega-3 product consisting of a 5:2 EPA:DHA ratio with extraordinary anti-inflammatory benefits
When people do get full body sun exposure they often use sunscreen, which inhibits the absorption of Vitamin D in the skin by blocking the UV-rays. Vitamin D deficiency can lead to muscle weakness, osteopenia, osteoporosis, bone fractures, insulin resistance, cognitive impairment, decreased immune defense, and much more. Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin, meaning the body cannot absorb it without fat. We have blended Vitamin D3, gently extracted from sheep’s wool, with virgin olive oil to ensure maximum absorption
Magnesium is essential for normal muscle function and plays a central role in the conversion of carbohydrates into energy, however, it is expelled from muscles during exercise. By using only the most absorbable and organic forms of Magnesium & Zinc combined with proprietary absorption enhancer (Vitamin B6 and Malic Acid) wehave created a product, without compromise, designed for performance and recovery.
Through years of planning and development, Pure Pharma has introduced three of the most potent supplements available. Each supplement has been developed with a core focus on quality without compromise. Each ingredient is scrupulously handpicked. The uniqueness and effects of each product makes them “The Athlete’s Choice”. The three products are developed with the philosophy of creating synergistic effects in order to optimize health and performance.
Massage therapy is the manual manipulation of soft body tissues (muscle, connective tissue, tendons and ligaments) to enhance a person’s health and well-being. There are many types of massage therapy methods (also called modalities). People seek massage therapy for a variety of reasons; for example, to reduce stress and anxiety, to relax muscles, to rehabilitate injuries, to reduce pain and to promote overall health and wellness.
One of the most important elements of chiropractic care is diagnostics. Chiropractic radiology is a tool utilized in care as a diagnostic practice to rule out pathology (such as possible tumor or fracture) and/or an additional aid to determine where to adjust the spine. Chiropractors rely on a variety of diagnostic techniques in order to fully understand what is occurring in the patient’s musculoskeletal system, and how a given treatment intervention could bring about positive results in each patient.
Ultrasound therapy is a chiropractic treatment used to help reduce muscle pain and increase range of motion. By using sound waves, we are able to stimulate deep inside the tissue. This minimizes stiffness, swelling, and pain while also promoting circulation, and pain-free movement.
Chiropractic care is not just for adults. In fact, more and more parents are seeing the many benefits of their children seeing a chiropractor every single day. Some of the benefits are improved sleep, improved behavior and attitude, and improved immune system function. Children encounter many physical stresses in their life that you may not realize. These stresses can cause your child’s spine to have issues in growth and development.
Here at Natural Health Chiropractic, we offer a conservative approach to treating pregnant women. Our prenatal care is gentle and safe. We aim to alleviate the stress and strains of pregnancy while improving comfort for both the mother and baby. We understand the physical changes that come with pregnancy, and we offer relief without using any drugs.
Electrotherapy is an alternative pain management treatment option that involves the use of mild electromagnetic pulses to provide relief for the patient. This treatment option can dull pain, repair tissue, strengthen muscles, and even improve your blood circulation.
The Graston Technique® (GT) is an innovative, evidence-based form of therapy that utilizes an instrument to assist in soft tissue mobilization. This enables clinicians to effectively and efficiently break down scar tissue and fascial restrictions. GT utilizes specially designed stainless steel instruments to detect and effectively treat areas exhibiting soft tissue fibrosis or chronic inflammation. The use of GT instruments along with therapeutic exercises helps restore pain-free movement and function. The Graston Technique® was originally developed by athletes to treat soft tissue injuries. It has grown in popularity as an alternative approach in treating acute and chronic soft tissue injuries.
Cryotherapy is a pain treatment that uses the method of localized freezing temperatures to kill irritated nerves. Cryotherapy is used to also treat some cancer areas as well as abnormal skin cells by dermatologists. Cryotherapy works by climbing into a specialized chamber that harnesses the power of liquid nitrogen and refrigerated cold air. It will rapidly cool off your entire body and will stimulate your sympathetic nervous system through your skin’s cold receptors.
Weight loss is something with which millions of people struggle. As you know, your weight doesn’t just contribute to your physical appearance. Your weight and the amount of fat in your body can help or hurt your body by contributing to either a healthy physique or lead to medical issues such as high blood pressure, diabetes, and heart disease. Weight loss is not just about restricting calories, which is what most people try to do. Weight loss is really about correcting your nutrition, managing your stress, and for some, working with or around chronic diseases and medical conditions.
Reaction time, speed, power, strength, balance, agility, and endurance are all controlled by your nervous system. If there is interference in your nervous system you won’t be able to perform at your best. NHC’s focus is to allow our patients’ the ability to complete all of their fitness goals with no limitations; no matter if they are beginning a workout program, on a sports team, or are competitive marathon runners/tri-athletes.
When our bodies become over-stressed, we increase the chances of suffering some sort of injury. That stress can be a sudden physical trauma (fall, accident) or even long term micro-trauma that builds up over time (repetitive motion injuries, poor posture).
- Decreased normal range of motion of the affected area
- Muscle spasm/tension (some muscles become tight while others become deactivated or weakened.
- Nerve inference causing pain and further muscle guarding
- Inflammation to begin the body’s natural healing process.
Our goal is to quickly restore the motion in the affected joint using a combination of physical therapy and chiropractic adjustments.
As soon as possible we encourage our patients to start or return to their normal physical activity level. As they improve the majority of patients begin to feel and function better than even before their injury occurred.
Although we don’t offer a fitness program within our office, we encourage all of our patients to visit one of our fitness affiliates listed to the right. Our affiliates allow us to communicate with trainers and staff so that our patients have the best chance of reaching their health and fitness goals.
Gaining motion results in:
- Increased pain free range of motion
- Muscles begin to relax (remember muscles are controlled by the nerves)
- Decreased nerve interference = decreased pain
- Decreased inflammation and a decreased chance of become chronically inflamed
**Not restoring the motion of an injured area can lead to a vicious cycle of chronic inflammation, pain, degeneration, and further loss of normal range of motion.
Most people begin chiropractic care because they are in some kind of pain. The majority of people believe that chiropractic is just for treating neck pain, lower back pain and headaches. This couldn’t be farther from the truth. In fact, chiropractic doesn’t treat neck pain or lower back pain. Pain is just a symptom. Pain is designed to alarm you that something isn’t functioning properly and that your body needs your attention. Our jobs as chiropractors are to identify what types of daily lifestyle stresses are causing your problems and help you correct those stressors so you can quit re-creating them.
To the right is the “Ice Berg” example:
The top of the Ice-berg represents your symptom. You can place whatever symptom you seem to be experiencing at the moment (headaches, LBP, Neck pain, GERD, ect) in that space.
Below the water you will see what is causing the symptom. We need to break the bottom half down into equal sections that represent different parts of your lifestyle including:
- Hydration (H2O)
- Posture/Joint Mobility
- Mental/Emotional Health
If we don’t supply our bodies with the correct amount of each, our bodies are placed under a great deal of stress. Too much stress leads to our symptoms. If you could improve the amount of water we drink, the quality and quantity of sleep we get, our posture sitting, standing, sleeping, the way we move/exercise, the type of food we eat, and how we handle stress wouldn’t you think that you could be healthier tomorrow than you are today? You could even be healthier in 5 years from now than today?
Chiropractic is about choices. Depending on what your health goals are will depend on what type of chiropractic care you will receive. Our goal isn’t to just treat symptoms. We want to help you correct the cause of the problem, and educate you on how to stop re-creating those problems so you can feel and function better, prevent future problems from occurring, reverse effects of the aging process, and have a better quality of life.
In the field of Clinical Psychology, psychologists try to understand how you and other individuals think, feel and act. A Psychologist main goal is to ease undesirable emotions and negative feelings caused by one of life’s many stressors including:
- Extreme Anger
- Natural Events Out Of Your Control
- Loss Of A Loved One
- Loss Of A Job
- Stress Of A New Job
- Sudden Changes
- Breakups And Divorce
- Financial Stressors
- Many Other Life Events
In other words Psychologists, promote how to better handle or adjust too many of life’s situations. It is important to point out that individuals who visit clinical psychologist are looking for tools to better adapt to life. This does not mean they are weak or mentally ill.
WHAT IS DR. ISABELLE KALLIS TRAINED TO DO AS A CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGIST?
Dr. Isabelle Kallis is educated and trained to maximize her patients’ emotional wellbeing. Her work ranges from prevention and early intervention of minor problems of adjustment to dealing with the individuals whose emotional anguish and instability can affect either their personal, social and/or occupational life. When an individual visits Dr. Isabelle Kallis, she initially interviews, assesses and interprets tests of symptoms and personal characteristics of the individual. She then identifies the causes of her patient’s anguish and worries and evaluates negative emotional effects. Dr. Isabelle Kallis then develops a treatment plan that is directed at treating, and minimizing the emotional pain due to life’s stressors and preventing further poor adjustment.
Treatment plans may include psychotherapy, behavior modification, marital therapy, cognitive retraining, social skills training, relaxation techniques and mindfulness therapy. She also integrates chiropractic care and nutritional care provided by the Natural Health Chiropractic staff to ensure that every patient is addressing the cause of physical, chemical, along with their emotional stressors.
*Dr. Isabelle Kallis also performs in-home counseling if needed.
Dr. Isabelle Kallis accepts the insurances listed below:
- First Medical
- Medicare Part B